- Home »
- Brother Dcp J172W Printer
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BROTHER DCP J172W SETUP
Brother DCP J172W is a Wireless InkJet printer, and this printer allows you to print, scan, and copy your documents. Compared to other printers, Brother DCP J172W’sprint resolution is high and is up to 1200 x 6000 dpi. This printer works well on both Windows and Mac. On this page, we have explained the complete Brother DCP J172W setup from scratch. Let’s start with unboxing the printer box.
UNBOXING & BASIC SETUP:
- First, open the printer box and take out all the box components one-bye-one.
- The Brother DCP J172W Printer
- Installation CD-ROM
- Documentation CD-ROM
- Starter Ink Cartridges (Black, Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta)
- Accessory Order Form
- Quick Setup Guide
- Basic User Guide
- Safety and Legal Guide
- Product Registration Sheet
- Place the printer on a flat surface and remove all protective tapes from outside the printer.
- Open the document cover and take the transparent sheet and close the document cover.
- Open the scanning cover and remove the protective materials from the printer.
- Close the scanning cover once the protective materials are removed from the Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Open the ink cartridge cover and remove the protective materials.
- Now, pull the paper tray completely out of the printer and remove the protective tapes from the paper tray. Insert the paper tray into the printer.
Steps to load a paper stack:
- First, pull the paper tray completely out of the Brother printer.
- Lift the output paper tray cover, then press and slide the paper guide to its outermost position.
- Now, place the paper stack on the paper tray and slide the paper guides to hold the sides of the paper stack.
- Once the paper is loaded, close the output paper tray cover and insert the paper tray completely into the Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Now, pull the paper support tray until you hear a click sound and then unfold the paper support flap.
How to install the starter ink cartridges?
Before installing the ink cartridge, connect the printer to an electrical socket via the supplied power cord.
Now, press the power button to power up the printer. If the printer LCD displays No Ink Cartridge, then open the ink cartridge cover.
- Unpack the ink cartridges from the package.
- Take the Black ink cartridge and twist the green knob on the protective yellow cap in clockwise direction and release the vacuum seal. Now, remove the cap.
- Place the Black ink cartridge in its slots and press until it snaps.
- Repeat these steps to install the rest of the ink cartridges in Brother DCP J172W setup.
- The ink patterns are labeled above the ink cartridge holder. Once all the ink cartridges are installed, close the ink cartridge cover.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to print a print report and then check the print quality.
BROTHER DCP J172W DRIVER DOWNLOAD:
You can directly download the printer driver from the Brother official website. Just follow this page, and you can download the printer driver easily. You can download a full driver package or download the required drivers for your computer. Let’s see how to download the driver for both Mac and Windows.
BROTHER DCP J172W DRIVER FOR WINDOWS:
Follow the steps given below to download the Brother DCP J172W setup drivers for Windows.
- On a Windows computer, launch the default web browser and go to the Brother official website.
- On the Brother home page, click your country.
- Below the Search by Category tab, click Downloads.
- On the Downloads page, type the printer model name in the Search by Model Name text field and then click Search.
- The web browser automatically detects your Operating System family and version.
- If the OS is not detected, click the Windows radio button in the Select OS Family option and then select the OS version in the Select OS Version option. Now, click OK.
- Choose a Brother DCP J172W setup driver and then click Download.
BROTHER DCP J172W DRIVER FOR MAC:
On the Mac computer, open the default web browser and then go to the Brother official support website.
- On the home page, click your region/ country.
- Now, a new screen prompts, click country or region.
- Click Download in the Search by Category option.
- Type your Brother printer model name in the Search by Model Name text field and then click Search.
- On the other hand, you can locate your printer driver page through Search by Product Category.
- The default browser automatically detects and shows your current Operating System on the web page.
- Locate and click on the driver to download.
- Now, you have completed the Brother DCP J172W setup driver download for Mac.
BROTHER DCP J172W MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
There are many manuals available on the Brother official website. You can select any manuals for your reference. Let’s see how to download manuals from the official website.
- On your Windows computer, launch the default web browser and then go to the Brother official support website.
- On the Home page, select your country or region.
- Now, click Manuals on the Support and Downloads page.
- Enter the printer model number in the Search by Model Name field and then click Search.
- Now, the Manuals page for the Brother DCP J172W printer opens.
- Click the Language drop-down box and select your preferred language from the list.
- Choose any manuals on the page for Brother DCP J172W setup and then select Click to choose.
- Now, a new pop-up page appears; choose the language from the list and then click Download.
BROTHER DCP J172W WIRELESS SETUP:
- Before you start the wireless setup, make sure the Brother printer is turned ON.
- On the printer LCD screen, press the Wi-Fi icon on top of the display and then press Settings.
- On the next screen, press Setup Wizard.
- Select Enable WLAN and press Yes.
- Now, the Brother printer will search for the available networks. Select your SSID from the available list and then press OK.
- Enter the Network key in the text field and then press OK.
- Press Yes to apply the settings.
- The Brother DCP J172W setup will connect to the wireless network, and the connection result message will appear on the LCD screen.
- Make sure the Brother printer and the computer are connected to the same network.
- Now, double-click the printer driver installer on your computer and start the installation process.
- Read the license notice carefully and click Yes on the License Agreement screen.
- In the connection setup window, click the Wireless Network Connection radio button and then click Next.
- Now, follow the displayed instructions and finish the printer driver installation.
- Once the wireless setup is complete, press Settings on the printer LCD screen.
- With the help of arrow keys, select WLAN Report or Print Reports, and the Brother DCP J172W setup will start printing. Now, check the printer status.
BROTHER DCP J172W TONER REPLACEMENT:
In this Brother printer model, there is no toner unit; since the printer uses ink cartridges, you can replace them if required. Let’s see how to replace the ink cartridges.
- If the ink cartridge reaches a low ink level, try to replace it with a new ink cartridge.
- Make sure the printer is turned ON.
- Now, open the ink cartridge cover and remove the low ink cartridge from the printer.
- Unpack the new ink cartridge from the package.
- Turn the green knob on the protective yellow cap to release the vacuum and then remove the cap.
- Insert the ink cartridge into the cartridge holder until it snaps.
- Once the cartridge is installed in Brother DCP J172W setup, close the ink cartridge cover.
BROTHER DCP J172W SCAN SETUP:
Scanning is a method that helps you to scan a document and send it to any device via email in a JPEG or PDF format. Let’s see the scan setup process.
- Before you start scanning any document, make sure the printer is turned ON.
- Check whether the printer is connected to the router.
- Download and install the scanner driver on the computer.
- Check whether the printer and the computer are connected to the same network.
- Clean the scanner glass area before you start the scanning process.
- This Brother DCP J172W setup supports many scanning features like scan to Email, scan via PC, scan via USB cable, and scan to the mobile device.
BROTHER DCP J172W SCAN TO EMAIL:
You can directly scan documents from the Brother DCP J172W printer to an email address using the Easy Scan method. Make sure the Brother printer is turned ON and connected to a wired or wireless network.
Steps to save an Email address:
- If you are using Easy Scan for the first time, you have to register the email address.
- On the printer LCD, swipe the screen and press Apps.
- If prompted, press OK and then press Yes.
- Read the information on the Information screen and tap OK.
- Tap OK on the New Feature screen.
- Now, select Easy Scan to E-Mail, and if prompted, click OK.
- Tap Register/Delete Account on the Select Account screen for Brother DCP J172W setup and then tap OK.
- Now, enter the email address using the on-screen keyboard and then tap OK.
- On the next screen, enter the Display Name and then click OK.
- To protect your email account with PIN, press Yes.
- Type the PIN and then press Yes to complete the account registration.
- Tap OK to complete.
How To Do Scan To Email?
- On the printer LCD, tap Apps and then tap Easy Scan to E-mail.
- If prompted, click OK.
- Tap on the account to which you are going to send the scanned copy from the Select Account screen.
- On the Select File Type screen, tap PDF.
- You can change the scan settings for Brother DCP J172W setup as you require and then press OK.
- Now, place the originals on the ADF or flatbed scanner.
- If you scan using the flatbed scanner, open the document cover and place the originals on the platen glass.
- Align the originals, then close the document cover and tap OK.
- Now, the scanned document will be sent to the selected email address.
BROTHER DCP J172W TROUBLESHOOT
Over a period of time, you may find that your printer is not as good as when it was bought. This may happen if the printer is not maintained properly. Also, at times, you may have to deal with some printer issues related to paper getting jammed inside, or the printer denying to connect or print. If you are stuck with Brother DCP J172W setup issues like these, feel free to get in touch with us for assistance.
BROTHER DCP J172W PRINTER OFFLINE:
Make sure the Brother printer is turned ON and check for the error message displayed on the control panel.
- On your Windows computer connected to the printer, click the Start icon and then select the Settings icon.
- In the Settings window, locate and select Devices.
- Under the Device settings screen, click Printers and scanners.
- Search your Brother printer in the Printers and scanners window.
- Now, select your printer and then click Open queue.
- A new dialog box will appear; click the Printer tab on it.
- In the Printer tab, deselect the Use Printer Offline and Pause Printing options.
- If the Brother DCP J172W setup is not the default one on your computer, you can’t print on it; click the Printer tab, select Set As Default Printer and then click Cancel All Documents.
- Check if the printer is back online.
BROTHER DCP J172W WON’T TURN ON:
- If the Brother printer doesn’t turn ON, unplug the power cord from the printer.
- If the power cord is damaged, replace it with a new power cord.
- Check if the power socket on the printer is not damaged.
- Now, press the power button and check whether the printer turns ON.
- If the Brother DCP J172W setup turns ON and runs normally, there is no issue. Or else, contact us for more assistance.
BROTHER DCP J172W PAPER JAM:
If the paper is jammed inside the Brother DCP J172W printer, first you have to turn OFF the printer. Then remove the power cord from it.
If the paper support flap is opened, then close it and then pull the paper tray completely out of the printer.
- On the paper tray area, pull the two green levers to release the jammed paper.
- Lift the scanner cover and lock it in the open position.
- Grab the jammed paper with your hands and pull the paper out of the printer.
- If the paper is under the print head plug, you can’t move the print head with your hand.
- Connect the power cord and tap the Cancel option, and the print head will move to one end so that you can remove the jammed paper from Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Once the jammed paper is removed, close the scanning cover and insert the paper tray.
- If the paper is jammed at the rear end, turn around the printer and open the Jam Clear Cover at the backside of the printer.
- Grab the jammed paper and then pull it out of the printer.
- Check for torn pieces of paper inside the printer, then close the Jam Clear Cover.
- Now, insert the paper tray completely into the printer.
- Finally, pull the paper support until you hear a click sound and then lift the paper support flap.
BROTHER DCP J172W RESET DRUM ERROR:
There is no drum unit available on the Brother DCP J172W setup. This Brother printer supports only ink cartridges, and the ink cartridge replacement steps are given in the above section.