- Brother Dcp J172w Printer
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BROTHER DCP J172W SETUP
Brother DCP J172W is a wireless InkJet printer, and it allows you to print, scan, and copy. Compared to other printers, Brother DCP J172W’s print resolution is higher. The resolution is up to 1200 x 6000 dpi. One of the benefits of the printer is the low noise level while printing. This printer works well on both Windows and Mac. On this page, we have explained the complete Brother DCP J172W setup from scratch. Let’s start with unboxing the printer.
UNBOXING & BASIC SETUP:
- First, open the printer box and take all the components one-by-one out of the box. The following are the contents:
- The Brother DCP J172W printer
- Installation CD-ROM
- Documentation CD-ROM
- Starter Ink Cartridges (Black, Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta)
- Accessory Order Form
- Quick Setup Guide
- Basic User Guide
- Safety and Legal Guide
- Product Registration Sheet
- Check if you have received all the contents without damage.
- Place the printer on a flat surface and remove all the protective tapes from outside the printer.
- Open the document cover and take the transparent sheet and close the document cover.
- Open the scanning cover and remove the productive materials from the Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Close the scanning cover once the protective materials are removed from the printer.
- Open the ink cartridge cover and take out the protective materials.
- Pull the paper tray fully out of the printer and remove the protective tapes from the paper tray. Now, insert the paper tray into the printer.
Steps To Load A Paper Stack:
- First, pull the paper tray completely out of the Brother printer.
- Lift the output paper tray cover, then press and slide the paper guide to its outmost position.
- Now, place the paper stack on the paper tray and slide the paper guides to hold the sides of the paper stack.
- Once the paper is loaded, close the output paper tray cover and insert the paper tray completely into the Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Now, pull the paper support tray until you hear a click sound and then unfold the paper support flap.
How to install the Starter ink cartridges?
- Before installing the ink cartridge, connect the printer to the electrical socket via the supplied power cord.
- Press the Brother printer’s Power button to turn it ON. If the printer LCD displays No Ink Cartridge, then open the ink cartridge cover.
- Unpack the ink cartridges from the package.
- Take the Black ink cartridge and twist the green knob on the protective yellow cap in a clockwise direction and release the vacuum seal. Now, remove the cap.
- Place the Black ink cartridge in its slot and press the ink cartridge into Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Repeat these steps to install the rest of the ink cartridges in their respective slots.
- The ink patterns are labeled above the ink cartridge holder. Once all the ink cartridges are installed, close the ink cartridge cover.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to print a report and then check the print quality.
BROTHER DCP J172W DRIVER DOWNLOAD:
The Brother printer driver is a piece of software that helps you connect the printer and computer to the same network. When the printer and computer are connected, you can access your printer via a wired or wireless network. You can directly download the printer driver from the Brother official website. Just follow this page, and you can download the Brother DCP J172W setup driver easily. You can download a full driver package or download the required drivers for your computer. Let’s see how to download the driver on both Mac and Windows.
BROTHER DCP J172W DRIVER FOR WINDOWS:
Follow the below steps given below to download the drivers for Windows.
- On the Windows computer, launch the default web browser and go to the Brother official website.
- On the Brother home page, click your country, and then on the next pop-up page, select your language from the list.
- Below the Search by Category tab, click Downloads.
- On the Downloads page, type the printer model name in the Search by Model Name text field and then click Search.
- The web browser automatically detects your Operating System family and version.
- Follow the below steps to download the Brother DCP J172W setup drivers for other Operating Systems.
- Click the Windows radio button in the Select OS Family option and then select the OS version in the Select OS Version option. Now, click OK.
- On the Brother DCP J172W Download page, click the Language drop-down list and then select your preferred language from the list.
- Choose a driver and then click Download.
BROTHER DCP J172W DRIVER FOR MAC:
- On the Mac computer, open the default web browser and then go to the Brother official support website.
- On the home page, click your region/country.
- Now, a new screen prompts, and you can click your country or region.
- Click Download in the Search by Category option.
- Type Brother DCP J172W setup in the Search by Model Name text field and then click Search.
- On the other hand, you can locate your printer driver page through the Search by Product Category.
- The default browser automatically detects and shows your current Operating System on the web page. Click the Language drop-down box to select the preferred language.
- On the Downloads page, select the Mac radio button in the Select OS Family column.
- In the Select OS Version tab, choose the version that you will download from the list, and then click OK.
- We recommend you to download the Full Software Package, or if you want a particular software, locate and click on the software to download.
- Now, you have completed the Brother DCP J172W setup driver download for Mac.
BROTHER DCP J172W MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
There are many manuals available on the Brother official website. You can select any manuals for your reference. Let’s see how to download manuals from the official website.
- On the Windows computer, launch the default web browser and then go to the Brother official support website.
- On the Home page, select your country or region.
- Now, click Manuals on the Support and Downloads page.
- Enter the printer model number in the Search by Model Name field and then click Search.
- Now, the Manuals page for the Brother DCP J172W setup opens.
- Click the Language drop-down box and select your preferred language from the list.
- Choose any manuals on the page and then select Click to choose.
- Now, a new pop-up page appears; choose the language from the list and then click Download.
- It will start the downloading process. Once the download is complete, open the manual and use it.
BROTHER DCP J172W WIRELESS SETUP
- Before you start the wireless setup, make sure the printer is turned ON.
- On the printer LCD screen, press the WIFI icon on top of the display and then press Settings.
- On the next screen, press Setup Wizard.
- Select Enable WLAN and press Yes.
- Now, the Brother DCP J172W setup will start looking for the available networks. Select your SSID from the available list and then press OK.
- Enter the Network key in the text field and then press OK.
- Press Yes to apply the settings.
- The printer will connect to the wireless network, and the connection result message will appear on the LCD screen. Press OK.
- Make sure that the Brother printer and your computer are connected to the same network.
- Now, double-click the downloaded printer driver file and start the installation process.
- In the License Agreement window, you need to read the license carefully and click Yes.
- In the connection setup window, click the Wireless Network Connection radio button and then click Next.
- Now, simply continue with the on-screen instructions to complete the printer driver installation.
- Once the wireless setup is complete, press Settings on the Brother DCP J172W setup LCD screen.
- With the help of arrow keys, select WLAN Report or Print Reports, and the printer will start printing. Now, check the printer status.
BROTHER DCP J172W TONER REPLACEMENT:
In this Brother printer model, there is no toner unit; you can only replace the ink cartridges. Let’s see how to replace the ink cartridges.
- If the ink cartridge reaches a low ink level, try to replace it with the new ink cartridge. The LCD will display the ink levels.
- Make sure the printer is turned ON.
- Open the ink cartridge cover and then take out the low ink cartridge from the Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Unpack the new ink cartridge from the package.
- Turn the knob on the protective yellow cap to release the vacuum and then remove the cap.
- Now, insert the ink cartridge into the cartridge holder until it snaps.
- Once the cartridge is installed, close the ink cartridge cover.
BROTHER DCP J172W SCAN SETUP:
Scanning is a method that helps you scan a document and send it to any device via email in the JPEG or PDF format. Let’s see the scan setup process.
- Before you start the scanning, make sure the printer is turned ON.
- Check whether the printer is connected to the router.
- Download and install the scanner driver on the computer.
- Make sure that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network.
- Clean the scanner glass area before you start the scanning process.
- This Brother DCP J172W setup supports many scanning features, like scan to Email, scan via PC, scan via USB cable, and scan to the mobile device.
BROTHER DCP J172W SCAN TO EMAIL:
You can directly scan documents from the Brother DCP J172W printer to an email using the Easy Scan method.Ensure that your Brother printer is turned ON and connected to the wired or wireless network.
Steps to save an email address:
If you are using Easy Scan for the first time, you have to register the email address.
- On the printer LCD display, swipe the screen and press Apps.
- If prompted, press OK and then press Yes.
- Read the information on the Information screen and tap OK.
- Tap OK on the New Feature screen of Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Now, select Easy Scan to E-Mail, and if prompted, click OK.
- Tap Register/Delete Account on the Select Account screen and then tap OK.
- Enter the email address with the help of the on-screen keyboard and then tap OK.
- On the next screen, enter the Display Name and then click OK.
- To protect your email account with PIN, press Yes.
- Type the PIN and then Yes to complete the account registration.
- Tap OK to complete.
How to do Scan to Email?
- On the printer LCD screen, tap Apps and then tap Easy Scan to E-mail.
- If prompted, press OK.
- Tap on the account you are going to send the scanned copy from the Select Account screen.
- On the Select File Type screen, tap PDF.
- You can change the scan settings as required and then press OK.
- Now, place the originals on the ADF or flatbed scanner.
- If you scan on Brother DCP J172W setup using the flatbed scanner, open the document cover and place the originals on the platen glass.
- Align the originals to the alignment mark and then close the document cover and then tap OK.
- Now, the scanned document will automatically be sent to the selected email address.
BROTHER DCP J172W TROUBLESHOOT:
In case the paper is jammed inside the printer or the network connection has failed, try the troubleshooting steps given below and clear all the printer problems.
BROTHER DCP J172W PRINTER OFFLINE:
- Make sure the Brother printer is turned ON and check for any error message on the control panel.
- On the Windows computer, click the Start icon and then select the Settings icon.
- Navigate to Printers and Scanners.
- Search for Brother DCP J172W setup in the Printers and Scanners window.
- Now, select your printer and then click Open queue.
- Now, a new dialog box will appear; click the Printer tab.
- Under the Printer tab, deselect the Use Printer Offline and Pause Printing options.
- If the printer is not set as the default printer, you can’t print; click the Printer tab, select Set as default printer.
- Check if the printer is back online.
BROTHER DCP J172W WON’T TURN ON:
- If the Brother printer doesn’t turn ON, unplug the power cord from the printer.
- In case the power cord is damaged, connect a new power cord to the Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Check if the power socket on the printer is damaged.
- Press the Power button and then check if whether the printer turns ON.
- If the printer turns ON and runs normally, there is no issue. In case the printer can’t turn ON, go to the nearest Brother service center and clear the issue.
BROTHER DCP J172W RESET DRUM ERROR:
There is no drum unit available on the Brother DCP J172W printer. This Brother printer supports only ink cartridges, and the ink cartridge replacement steps are given in the above section.
BROTHER DCP J172W PAPER JAM:
- In case the paper is jammed inside the printer, first you have to turn OFF the printer and then remove the power cord from it.
- If the paper support flap is opened, then close it and then pull the paper tray completely out of the printer.
- In the paper tray area, pull the two green levers to release the jammed paper from Brother DCP J172W setup.
- Lift the scanner cover until it gets locked in the open position.
- Grab the jammed paper with your hands and pull the paper out of the printer.
- If the paper is under the print head plug, you can’t move the print head with your hand.
- Connect the power cord and tap the Cancel option, and the print head will move to one end so that you can remove the jammed paper.
- Once the jammed paper is removed, close the scanning cover and insert the paper tray.
- If the paper is jammed at the rear end, turn the printer around and open the Jam Clear Cover from the rear section of the printer.
- Grab the jammed paper and then pull it out of the printer.
- Check for any torn pieces inside the printer and then close the Jam Clear Cover.
- Now, insert the paper tray completely into the Brother DCP J172W setup.