- Home »
- Brother Mfc 290c Setup
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BROTHER MFC 290C SETUP
Brother MFC-290C is a multifunctional monochrome printer that can print, scan, copy, and fax. It can print 30 pages per minute; so, it can meet your home requirements. If you want to know the complete procedure of setting up the Brother MFC-290C printer, continue to read the following sections.
UNBOXING & BASIC SETUP
Unpack your printer
- Unpack the printer and check whether you have received all the components.
- Your package includes the Brother MFC-290C printer, starter ink cartridges, user guide, CD-ROM, accessory order form, test sheet, telephone line cord, and a quick setup guide.
- Remove all the protective films around the printer.
- Extend the paper tray completely from the printer and open the paper tray cover.
- Slide the paper guides to the extreme ends.
- Take a paper stack and fan the sheets.
- Align the edges of the stack and place it on the paper tray with the print side facing down.
- Adjust the guides against the paper and close the paper tray cover.
- Finally, insert the paper tray completely into the printer and extend the paper support.
Connect the printer to an electrical outlet
- Take the power cable you received along with your printer.
- Connect the power cable between your printer and an electrical outlet.
- If you are going to use your printer for the fax function, take the supplied telephone cord and connect it between the LINE port of your printer and a wall jack; then configure your fax settings.
- Now, turn on your Brother printer by pressing the Power button.
- Install the ink cartridges.
- Open the ink cartridge cover and take out the green protective part.
- Unpack the supplied ink cartridges, turn the green knob clockwise until the vacuum seal is released, and then remove the cap.
- Now, start inserting the ink cartridges into their holders; make sure to insert the cartridges according to the color indications.
- Once you have installed all the ink cartridges, close the ink cartridge cover.
- Now, your printer will get ready to prepare the ink tube system. Within four minutes, this process will be completed.
Choose your preferences
- If you prefer to change the language of your printer, press Menu> 0> 0. Then, choose the language you prefer using the navigation keys and press OK> Stop/Exit.
- If you want to change the date and time of your printer, press Menu> 0> 2. Then, using the dial pad, enter the last two digits of the year and press the OK button. In the same manner, enter two digits for the month and day using the same dial pad.
Connect your printer to the computer
- Insert the supplied installation disk into your computer’s CD drive. Double-click the setup file and go ahead with the installation by adhering to the on-screen prompts.
- If your computer doesn’t have a CD drive, you can get the driver from the official support page of Brother (the following sections can guide you through the whole process).
- Once you have installed the printer driver on your computer, connect your printer to the same network to which you have connected your computer and start printing using the printer driver.
BROTHER MFC 290C DRIVER DOWNLOAD
- The printer driver is responsible for establishing communication between a printer and a computer. For your Brother MFC 290C printer, you can download the printer driver from its official page itself.
- Visit Brother’s official website, enter your printer model, and download the printer driver recommended for your Operating System.
- The following sections can give you a detailed idea of downloading the printer driver from Brother’s official website.
BROTHER MFC 290C DRIVER FOR WINDOWS
- Visit the official support page of Brother from your browser.
- In the search field, enter Brother MFC 290C and click Search.
- On the Support & Downloads page, click Downloads.
- On the Downloads page, choose the OS Family as Windows and click OK.
- From the list of recommended drivers, choose the one you prefer and click on it.
- On the driver download page, click Agree to the EULA and Download.
- Once the printer driver gets downloaded on your computer, you can access it within your browser or in the Downloads folder.
BROTHER MFC 290C DRIVER FOR MAC
- Visit Brother’s official support page from a browser you prefer.
- Enter Brother MFC 290C in the search field and press Enter.
- On the Support & Download page, click the Downloads tab.
- On the Downloads page, choose your Operating System as Mac and select the version you are currently using.
- When it shows you a list of recommended drivers for your Mac computer, click the driver you require.
- Read the license agreement on the Driver Download page and click the Agree to the EULA and Download button.
- Now, the driver will start to download in the background.
BROTHER MFC 290C MANUAL DOWNLOAD
- Visit the official support page of Brother from your default browser.
- In the search field, type Brother MFC 290C, press Enter.
- On the Support & Downloads page, click the Manuals tab.
- On the Manuals page, select the manual you need and click Download.
- Now, the chosen manual will be opened in a new tab of your browser.
- If you prefer, you can save it on your computer.
BROTHER MFC 290C WIRELESS SETUP
The Brother MFC 290C printer doesn’t support wireless connectivity.
BROTHER MFC 290C TONER REPLACEMENT
The Brother MFC 290C printer comes with the ink cartridges; so, you don’t need to worry about toner replacement.
BROTHER MFC 290C SCAN SETUP
- Before you start to scan your documents, install the necessary scanner driver on your computer.
- Connect your printer and computer using a USB cable.
- Launch the scanner driver and start scanning.
BROTHER MFC 290C SCAN TO COMPUTER
- Load the originals into the document feeder.
- Press the Scan button on your Brother printer control panel.
- Using the navigation keys, choose the Scan to PC option.
- Using the navigation keys, choose the quality, file type, and file name you prefer.
- Once you have selected your preferred scan settings, press the Black Start (for Black and White scanning) or Color Start (for color scanning) button.
- Now, the scanned documents can be accessed on your computer.
BROTHER MFC 290C TROUBLESHOOT
Troubleshooting solutions can help you fix the existing issues efficiently. This section deals with the best solutions for the common issues.
BROTHER MFC 290C PRINTER OFFLINE
- If you have enabled Use Printer Offline, your printer will not appear online. In that case, click Start and go to the Devices and Printers section. Right-click on your Brother MFC 290C printer and choose the See what’s printing option. Go to the Printer menu and disable the Use Printer Offline option.
- An outdated printer driver may cause more significant issues. Therefore, it is mandatory to update the printer driver now and then. You can get the updated printer driver from the official support page of Brother.
- When the print jobs get piled up on your printer’s memory, it may fail to appear online. To clear the print queue, go to the Devices and Printers section, right-click on your printer and choose the See what’s printing option. Then, click the Printer menu and select Cancel All Documents.
- It is important to keep your printer as the default one. If not, your Brother MFC 290C won’t receive the print jobs you send from your computer. To make your printer the default one, go to the Devices and Printers section. From the list of printers, right-click on your Brother MFC 290C printer and choose the Set as default printer option.
BROTHER MFC 290C WON’T TURN ON
- At times, a printer may fail to turn on. The issue might have occurred due to several reasons. When you try out a few troubleshooting techniques, you can fix the problem to some extent.
- When there is an issue with the electrical outlet or power cord, your printer may fail to turn on. So, connect your printer to a different electrical outlet and check whether the issue is fixed. If necessary, use a different power cable.
- In most instances, the issue is related to the power supply. When there is a power shortage, your printer will not get enough power to turn on. In those circumstances, you need to wait until the power supply comes back to normal and check whether the issue is resolved.
- Whatever the issue is, a simple power cycle can help you fix it. Turn off your printer and disconnect the power cord. Leave your printer undisturbed for a minute. Then, reconnect the power cord to your Brother printer and turn it on. Now, check whether your printer turns on.
BROTHER MFC 290C RESET DRUM ERROR
The printer doesn’t come with a drum unit.
BROTHER MFC 290C PAPER JAM
- A paper jam can occur anywhere inside a printer. The LCD of your printer can indicate the place of paper jam occurrence. If you encounter a paper jam on your Brother printer, follow the techniques mentioned below.
- When there is a paper jam inside the paper tray, extend it and take it out completely from the printer. Take out all the jammed paper inside the tray. Once you have removed the sheets, press the Stop/Exit button.
- Then reset the printer by raising and closing the scanner cover from the printer’s front.
- If you cannot take out the jammed paper from the printer’s front side or the error code is still appearing on the printer’s LCD screen, open the Jam Clear cover and take out all the jammed paper from the printer.
- Once you have removed all the jammed paper, close the jam clear cover.
- Now, raise the scanner cover until it locks in its place. Look for jammed paper inside the scanner unit. If you find any jammed or torn paper, take out the sheets carefully.
- When there is a paper jam under the print head, disconnect the printer from the power outlet, move the print head to the middle, and take out all the jammed paper.
- If you prefer to avoid paper jams, always make sure to align the sheets before loading them into the paper tray. Make sure not to load the sheets beyond the indicated limit. Do not use curled or damp paper as it can increase the chances of paper jam occurrence.