- Home »
- BROTHER MFC J497DW PRINTER
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BROTHER MFC J497DW SETUP
Brother MFC J497DW Setup is a wireless all-in-one printer with the added duplex printing feature. The printer is quite compact with a 100-sheet adjustable paper tray. It can easily print at a speed of 12 pages per minute for black and 6 pages per minute for color. The physical features make the printer one of the best productive machines quite suitable for home or small office use. It is equipped with a compact 1.8-inch touch screen to simplify your work.
WHAT’S IN THE BOX?
- The Brother MFC J497DW printer
- Starter Ink Cartridges (Cyan, Black, Magenta, Yellow)
- Quick Setup and Product Safety guide
- Installation CD
- Power cord
- Fax cord
There are two methods to complete the full setup process for the printer.
- Since the printer comes with an installation CD, you can easily do the setup for the printer.
- If your computer does not have a CD/DVD drive, download the driver from this page or the official printer site.
- Once the driver download is complete, run it and follow the on-screen commands.
- Wait for the connection screen to open.
- Finally, select the type of connection you want for the Brother Mfc J497dw Setup and conclude the setup.
- Unpack the Brother MFC J497DW printer from the carton and place it on a flat surface.
- Place the printer within the proximity distance of the wireless router (Wireless setup) and close to your computer for convenience.
- Remove the protective tapes surrounding the printer body and discard them immediately.
- Open the paper tray from the bottom of the printer and remove the paper tray cover.
- Adjust the paper guide on either side of the tray.
- Place a stack of paper inside and adjust it with the paper guides.
- Close the paper tray cover and slide the paper tray back into the printer.
- Remove the power cord from the sealed packaging.
- Connect the power cord to the Brother printer and the main power source.
- Raise the control panel to your convenient angle and press the Power button to turn on the printer.
- Follow the commands on the screen to set the date/time.
- Open the ink cartridge cover and make sure to remove the protective material present inside the cover.
- Remove the ink cartridges from the carton.
- Unpack the ink cartridges from the respective covers.
- Place the ink cartridges into the respective color slots.
- Follow the commands on the printer screen and close the cartridge door.
- Connect the fax cord to the back (LINE port of the printer) and to the phone wall jack.
- Press Settings on the control panel, select Initial Setup, and press OK.
- Select Station ID > Fax and press the OK button.
- Enter your Fax number and press OK.
- Also, enter your name and press the OK button.
- Now, to set the receive mode, press Settings.
- Select Fax > Set Receive > Receive Mode and press OK.
- Press Stop or Exit.
The hardware setup is complete. Let us now move on to the next stage in Brother Mfc J497dw Setup.
BROTHER MFC J497DW DRIVER DOWNLOAD
The Brother MFC J497DW driver is for your computer. With the driver downloaded and installed on your computer, you can connect the printer to it easily. We have described the steps to download the printer driver for both Windows and Mac operating systems.
BROTHER MFC J497DW DRIVER FOR WINDOWS
- On this very support page, click the Driver Download button for Windows OS.
- Now, the printer driver will be downloaded immediately.
- You can also download the printer driver from the official Brother support page.
- Open the support page for the Brother MFC J497DW printer.
- Click the Downloads tab.
- Select the Windows option from the Select OS Family section.
- Click the OK button.
- Under the Read the End-User License Agreement (EULA) section, click the Agree to the EULA and Download button to download driver for Brother Mfc J497dw Setup.
BROTHER MFC J497DW DRIVER FOR MAC
- On this page, click the Driver Download button for Mac OS and the driver will be downloaded.
- One more way to download the driver for the printer is from the official Brother support page.
- Open the Brother MFC J497DW printer support page.
- Click the Downloads tab on the page.
- Select the Mac option from the Select OS Family section.
- Select the version and click the OK button.
- Click Full Driver & Software Package (Recommended).
- When the page opens, click the Agree to the EULA and Download button.
BROTHER MFC J497DW MANUAL DOWNLOAD
There are two simple ways to download the manual for your printer.
- On this page, all you have to do is click the Manual Download button and the manual is yours.
- If you wish to download the manual from the official Brother support page, open the support page for the printer.
- Click the Manuals tab on the left side of the page.
- Under the User’s Guide section, click the Download button for Online User’s Guide for Brother Mfc J497dw Setup.
BROTHER MFC J497DW WIRELESS SETUP
The easiest way to connect the Brother printer to the wireless network is using the WPS method (Wi-Fi Protected Setup). Here are the steps to perform wireless setup for Brother MFC J497DW.
- Press Settings on the printer control panel.
- Now, with the help of the navigation buttons, select Network > WLAN > WPS. Press the OK button after each selection.
- When the printer display shows the message saying Enable WLAN?, press the Right arrow button (This will start the wireless setup and the printer is ready).
- The printer will now ask you to press the WPS button on the router. Press the WPS button.
- Press the Right arrow button on the printer immediately after the previous step.
- Once the wireless setup is successful, you will see the Connected status on display.
BROTHER MFC J497DW AIRPRINT SETUP
AirPrint is a wireless printing feature that is compatible only with iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Ensure that the iOS device is connected to the same network as the Brother MFC J497DW setup.
- Select a document you want to print on your iOS device.
- Tap the Share icon.
- When a list opens on the screen, select the Print option.
- Choose the Brother MFC J497DW printer.
- Tap the + icon if you wish to have more copies.
- Finally, tap the Print button on the top right corner of the iOS device.
HOW TO CHANGE INK CARTRIDGE ON BROTHER MFC J497DW
- On the right, you will find the cartridge door.
- Once done, you will find the ink cartridges set inside.
- Press the lever or tab on top of the cartridge (based on the cartridge that needs replacement) and gently remove it from the printer.
- Keep the old cartridge aside and unpack the new cartridge from the cover.
- Gently shake the ink cartridge 10-15 times horizontally to redistribute the toner.
- Now slowly insert the ink cartridge into its respective color slot; push it until you hear the click sound on Brother Mfc J497dw Setup.
BROTHER MFC J497DW SCAN SETUP
- Lift the document cover of the Brother MFC J497DW printer.
- On the scanner glass, place the original document with the print side facing down and close the document cover.
- Press the Scan button on the Brother MFC printer control panel.
- With the help of the navigation buttons (Up arrow button or Down arrow button), select either the to PC or to Image option.
- If you wish to make any changes, press the Scan Settings section and make necessary adjustments based on your requirement.
- For scanning with default settings, press either the Black Start button or the Color Start button.
BROTHER MFC J497DW FAX SETUP
- Load the document you want to fax on the scanner glass or in the Auto Document Feeder.
- Press the Fax button on the printer control panel.
- Now, you will see the LCD saying, enter the number.
- Enter the recipient fax number using the dial pad.
- Press the Up or Down arrow button to make any changes to your fax, and press the OK button.
- Once done, press the Black Start button or the Color Start button on the Brother Mfc J497dw Setup.
HOW TO PRINT ENVELOPES ON BROTHER MFC J497DW
- First, pull the paper tray from the bottom of the printer.
- Open the output tray cover.
- Make sure to load less than 10 envelopes (print side facing down). If you load more than 10 envelopes, you might experience a paper jam.
- Now, gently adjust the paper width guides and the paper length guides to fit the size of the envelope.
- Finally, close the output tray cover and then slide the paper tray back to its respective paper tray slot.
- On the computer connected to the printer, open the document to print.
- Choose the printer option, select your Brother printer, and make the print settings.
- Finally, click OK or Print.
BROTHER MFC J497DW TROUBLESHOOT
BROTHER MFC J497DW PRINTER OFFLINE
There are different methods to bring the printer back online. In this article, we have mentioned a couple of methods to solve the offline printer issue.
METHOD 1: DISABLE USE PRINTER OFFLINE OPTION (WINDOWS)
- Open the Control Panel window.
- Select Devices and Printers.
- Do a right-click on the printer.
- Select the option See what’s printing.
- Click the Printer tab.
- Unselect the checkbox option Use Printer Offline to disable Brother Mfc J497dw Setup.
METHOD 2: RESTART THE PRINT SPOOLER SERVICE (WINDOWS)
- Open the Run command (Windows key + R).
- Type services.msc in the Run command field, then press the Enter button.
- The Windows Services window will now open.
- Locate the Print Spooler service.
- Do a right-click on the option and select the Restart option.
BROTHER MFC J497DW CANNOT DETECT INK
If the Brother MFC J497DW printer does not detect the ink cartridge, it will show an error on the printer display saying Cannot Detect.
- Replace the cartridge if necessary. Otherwise, reinstall the cartridge as mentioned below.
- Open the cartridge door on the right side of the printer.
- From the slot, remove the new ink cartridge and re-install it again.
- This time, make sure the cartridge locks itself in Brother Mfc J497DW Setup.
BROTHER MFC J497DW WON’T SCAN
The best way to resolve the issue if the Brother printer does not scan is to clean the scanner glass on the printer.
- Make sure to turn off the Brother printer and remove the power cord.
- Open the document cover.
- Have a lint-free cloth, gently wipe the scanner glass and the white plastic sheet moistened with water.
- Also, ensure if you have placed the original document on the scanner glass according to the edge indicators on the scanner glass.
BROTHER MFC J497DW NOT PRINTING
There are many options to look at if the Brother MFC J497DW printer does not print.
- Ensure that the Brother Mfc J497dw Setup is connected to the power source and turned on.
- Make sure the paper inside the paper tray is arranged properly.
- Remove any curled or damaged paper to avoid paper jams.
- Check the installation of the ink cartridges.
- Open the cartridge cover and see if the ink cartridges are installed according to their respective colors.
The best solution is to clean the print head of the printer.
- Press the Settings button on the printer control panel.
- Use the navigation buttons and select the following options: General Setup > Maintenance > Print Head Cleaning > Black Only/ Color Only/ All. Press OK after each selection.
- Select either Normal, Strong, or Strongest and press the OK button.
- Press the Right arrow button to initiate the print head cleaning. The process will take a couple of minutes to complete.
Contact us to know more about the Brother MFC J497DW setup and its other functions.