- Brother MFC J885DW Printer
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BROTHER MFC J885DW SETUP
Brother MFC J885DW is a compact All-in-One laser printer designed for small offices and workgroups having light-duty print needs. This printer has a touchscreen panel for easy access to settings. For detailed instructions about the Brother mfc j885dw setup, go through the steps given on this page.
UNBOXING & BASIC SETUP
If you are new to the Brother printer setup, follow the step-by-step instructions given below.
- Unpack the printer from the package.
- Take out the printer components such as telephone line cord, starter ink cartridges, and CD-ROM.
- Remove the protective tapes and covers from the printer.
- Make sure to recycle the packing materials.
Loading plain paper:
- To begin with, pull the paper tray out from the printer.
- Open the output tray cover, fan a paper stack, and load it in the paper input tray.
- Adjust the loaded paper stack with the paper guides and close the output tray cover.
- Refix the paper tray into the printer.
- Remember to pull out the paper support and unfold the paper support flap.
Connecting cords and setting up basic preferences:
- If you wish to use the fax function, connect one end of the supplied telephone line cord to your printer’s LINE port and the other end to a telephone wall jack.
- Otherwise, connect your printer’s power cord to an electrical outlet and wait for the printer to power on automatically.
- Move to the printer control panel and touch the Settings icon on the touchscreen panel.
- Select your preferred language and press the Home button on Brother mfc j885dw setup.
- Verify if the telephone line cord has been connected properly to your printer’s LINE port.
- Tap the Settings icon on the printer touchscreen panel.
- Select All Settings -> Fax -> Setup Receive -> Receive Mode.
- Choose your preferred receive mode and press the Home button.
- Go to Initial Setup and select Station ID.
- Tap Fax and then set your station ID.
- Press the OK button to complete the fax setup.
Installing printer software:
- Insert the CD-ROM provided with your printer package into your computer’s CD/DVD drive.
- Run the setup file to begin the driver installation.
- Agree to the EULA and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Finish the driver installation and verify the printer functionality.
BROTHER MFC J885DW DRIVER DOWNLOAD
If your computer does not have a CD/DVD drive, you cannot install the printer software via the provided CD-ROM. In such cases, you can download the Brother MFC J885DW Setup driver by clicking the Driver Download button on this page. Alternatively, you can download the driver for your Brother MFC J885DW printer from the official Brother site. Remember to identify your OS version before heading to the official Brother site because it will help you choose the compatible drivers.
BROTHER MFC J885DW DRIVER FOR WINDOWS
Remove any previously installed Brother printer drivers.
Close all the running apps.
Verify whether the Internet connection is stable on your Windows computer.
Downloading the printer driver:
- Launch the default browser and visit the official Brother site.
- Input your printer’s model number in the search field and click the Search button.
- Click the printer model in the search result and select the link that directs you to the driver download page.
- Under the Select Your Operating System (OS) section, select your Windows OS and its version from the given options.
- Click the OK button and select the required driver from the displayed list.
- Click the Agree to the EULA and Download button and save the driver file to your computer.
BROTHER MFC J885DW DRIVER FOR MAC
Downloading driver from the manufacturer site:
- On your Mac, open the default browser and visit the official Brother site.
- Type brother mfc j885dw setup in the search field and click the Search button.
- Click the printer model in the search result and select the link that directs you to the Downloads page.
- Choose your macOS and its version from the given options.
- Click the OK button and select the required driver from the displayed list.
- If prompted, click the Agree to the EULA and Download button to save the driver file in the Downloads folder.
BROTHER MFC J885DW MANUAL DOWNLOAD
The manual for your Brother MFC J885DW printer is provided with the printer package during the first-time purchase. If the manual is not available, download it by clicking the Manual Download button on this page. Alternatively, you can get the manual from the official Brother site by following these steps.
- On the official Brother site, enter your printer’s model number in the search field and click the Search button.
- Click on the support link for your printer’s model in the search result.
- Next, click the link that directs you to the manual download page.
- If necessary, choose your language from the Language drop-down menu.
- Select the required manual from the displayed list and click the blue Download button.
- Now, the manual for Brother Mfc J885dw Setup will be saved to your Downloads folder.
BROTHER MFC J885DW WIRELESS SETUP
You can perform the wireless setup for your Brother MFC J885DW printer using the following methods.
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (Push Button or PIN)
- Wireless Setup Wizard
- Wi-Fi Direct
To know how to perform the wireless setup using Wireless Setup Wizard, go through the steps below.
- Verify if you have completed setting up the basic printer preferences.
- Place your printer close to your router.
- Turn on your printer, router, and computer.
- Connect your computer to your wireless router using the correct wireless credentials.
Wireless Setup Using WPS Push Button Method:
- Go to your Brother Mfc J885dw Setup touchscreen panel and tap the Settings icon.
- Select All Settings -> Network -> WLAN -> WPS/AOSS.
- When the Switch Network interface to wireless or Enable WLAN message appears, tap Yes to start the wireless setup wizard.
- When the touchscreen panel prompts you to start the WPS operation, press the OK button and then go to your router.
- Within 2 minutes, press and hold your router’s WPS button until all the LEDs start to blink.
- Wait for the printer to detect your wireless network automatically.
- Once the connection is made, the Connected message appears on the touchscreen panel.
Connecting printer and computer wirelessly:
- After completing the wireless setup, install the printer software on the computer that has been connected to the same wireless network.
- When you are asked to choose the connection type, select the Wireless connection option.
- Carry out the on-screen prompts to establish the wireless connection between your printer and computer.
- To verify the wireless connection, print a test page remotely from your computer.
HOW TO CHANGE INK CARTRIDGE ON BROTHER MFC J885DW
- With the Brother Mfc J885dw Setup turned on, lift the ink cartridge cover.
- Press the lock release lever and then remove the expended ink cartridge.
- Unpack the new ink cartridge from the package and remove the orange protective tapes from it.
- Insert the cartridge into its slot and ensure that it is perfectly seated.
- Close the ink cartridge cover.
- Now, the printer will automatically reset the ink dot counter.
BROTHER MFC J885DW SCAN SETUP
The Brother MFC J885DW printer has a flatbed scanner and an ADF. For scanning multi-page documents, use the ADF. To know more about the scan setup, follow these steps.
- Turn on your Brother MFC J885DW printer and then load the original document into the ADF or scanner glass.
- Connect your printer and computer via a USB cable or over a wireless network
- Go to the printer control panel and tap the Scan icon.
- Select the to File option if you are going to send the scanned document as a PDF.
- If you are scanning an image, select the to Image option.
- For saving scanned data to a memory card or USB flash drive, select the Scan to Media option.
- To scan your document with the default scan settings, press the Start button.
- To modify the scan settings, tap the Options button and then specify the required scan settings.
- You can modify the following scan settings.
- Scan Type
- File Type
- Scan Size
- Remove Background Color
- After verifying changes made to the scan settings, press the Start button to scan your original document on Brother Mfc J885dw Setup.
BROTHER MFC J885DW FAX SETUP
- Start by connecting one end of the supplied telephone line cord to your printer’s LINE port and the other end to your telephone wall jack.
- Load the document you wish to fax into the ADF.
- Tap the Fax icon on the touchscreen panel and enter the fax number using the on-screen dial pad.
- To change the default fax settings, tap the Options button and then select the required fax settings.
- Otherwise, press the OK button to complete the fax setup.
- To check if you can send a fax, tap the Fax Start button.
HOW TO PRINT ENVELOPES ON BROTHER MFC J885DW
- Pull the paper input tray out from the printer and then open the output tray cover.
- You can load up to 10 envelopes into the manual feed slot. After loading envelopes, adjust them with the paper guides.
- Close the output tray cover and then refix the tray into the printer.
- Remember to open the paper support and unfold the paper support flap.
- Turn on your Brother Mfc j885dw Setup and then connect it to your Windows computer.
- Open the image or photo you wish to print on the envelope.
- Select File –> Print to open the Print dialog box.
- Choose your printer’s name from the drop-down menu and click on Properties.
- Specify the print settings and click OK.
- Finally, click Print in the Print dialog box to start printing envelopes.
BROTHER MFC J885DW TROUBLESHOOTING
Is your printer not responding? Check the USB or Wi-Fi connection between your printer and computer. There are several other factors that might be causing issues with your printer. You should identify the actual cause and execute the correct troubleshooting steps. To help you with that, we have given few printer issues and their troubleshooting steps on this page. In case you are stuck while troubleshooting your Brother Mfc J885dw Setup issue, contact us for assistance.
BROTHER MFC J885DW PRINTER OFFLINE
Your printer may go offline if it is idle for a long period. Sometimes the printer status on your Windows computer might be changed to offline if the connection between your printer and computer is cut off. To fix the printer offline issue, carry out these solutions.
Solution 1: Visually check the printer connection
First, check if your printer has been turned off. If so, check the power cord connected to the wall outlet and then restart your printer.
Next, check the USB cable connected at both end ports (printer and computer). In case you have connected the devices over a wireless network, check the Wi-Fi connection status.
If the problem is with the network connection, run the Brother Network Connection Repair Tool on your computer. This will fix the network-related issues automatically.
Solution 2: Disable Use Printer Offline
- On your Windows computer, open Control Panel and click the Devices and Printers tab.
- Right-click your printer’s icon and select the See what’s printing option.
- Clear all the pending print jobs and click the Printer tab.
- Deselect the Use Printer Offline option from the drop-down list.
- Check if your Brother Mfc J885dw Setup status has been changed to online. If the problem persists, restart the Windows Print Spooler service.
BROTHER MFC J885DW WON’T SCAN
Scanners have now become an essential thing in workplaces. It helps you scan all your documents and send them to various destinations. It won’t go nice if you cannot scan any documents when required. If you are having issues with your Brother MFC J885DW printer while scanning, go through these troubleshooting steps to fix them.
- First, check whether you have loaded the original document properly into the ADF or on the scanner glass.
- Next, check if the connection between your printer and Windows computer is stable.
- Click the Start menu on your computer and select All programs -> Brother -> Brother Utilities.
- In the pop-up window, select your printer’s name from the drop-down menu and click the Scan button from the left-side panel.
- Select Scanners and Cameras and right-click your scanner device.
- Choose Properties and navigate to the Network Setting tab.
- Confirm your Brother Mfc J885dw Setup IP address and try scanning a test document remotely from your computer.
- If the problem remains unsolved, reinstall the scanner driver.
BROTHER MFC J885DW NOT PRINTING
- If your Brother MFC J885DW printer is not printing as expected, there might be issues with the printer driver or paper settings.
- Check the paper input tray for any jammed paper. If so, remove it gently from the printer.
- Try restarting your printer and check the print settings on your computer.
- Verify if the connection between your printer and computer is stable.
- Ensure that you have properly installed the printer driver on your computer.
- If you have not set your printer as the default one on your computer, open Control Panel and click the Devices and Printers tab.
- Right-click your printer’s icon and select the Set as default printer option.
- This will fix the printing issues you are dealing with your Brother MFC J885DW Setup.
BROTHER MFC J885DW CANNOT DETECT INK
- If your Brother MFC J885DW printer is not detecting ink, check if you have properly installed the starter ink cartridges into the printer.
- Open the ink cartridge cover and then remove each ink cartridge out from the printer.
- Check if you have removed the orange tapes from the cartridges.
- Next, reload the cartridges into the printer and check the ink level.
- If you find any expended ink cartridges, replace them.
- If necessary, clean the print head from the printer control panel menu and check if your printer has detected the ink.
Contact us to know more about the Brother MFC J885dw setup and its other functions.